The Beowulf, is a hover-tank in Tribes: Ascend, and is one of the three vehicles that can be driven. To purchase the Beowulf, any player, regardless of their armor class, may go up to a vehicle station and select the Beowulf. It will spawn on the vehicle pad, and automatically place the player into the tank as the driver, which also controls the main cannon. Another player can enter the vehicle, and will gain control of the mounted Chain Gun. If there is only one player in the vehcile, they may switch between the main cannon and the Chain Gun by pressing F1 and F2 respectively. This vehicle can only be hijacked by an enemy if there is no one in the tank. Since only 2 tanks are allowed per team (on official servers), if the tank is not occupied for 60 seconds, it will explode.
While the Beowulf may seem very durable with 8,000 health, it can be quickly destroyed by a light armor with a Spinfusor due to its higher mobility and ability to stay in the air. The tank also flips very easily due to poor physics, albeit not as bad as it was in the beta. If the tank does flip, it will eject the passengers. The tank can be flipped right side up by attempting to re-enter the vehicle. The Beowulf is also susceptible to damage from small rocks; instead of hovering over them, it runs into them, causing minor damage. Yet, if the tank is driven off a cliff and hits the ground, no damage will be taken.
In order to cause damage to a player by trying to run them over, the Beowulf must be going at least 20 m/s, and will do between 100 - 500 damage depending on the speed of the vehicle. If a player is successfully run over, the driver will earn the Road Kill accolade. If there is a passenger on board, and they get a kill, the driver will receive a Vehicle Assist accolade, and vice versa if the driver gets a kill.
Below are the damage values for the Beowulf.
|250 - 1,250
|64 - 85 (Fall off damage)
- The Beowulf originates from Tribes 2, where it had a shield, a cannon that fired mortars, and a vulcan.
- If the tank is targeted by a Saber, the player can easily switch to the Chain Gun and shoot them down.
- The main cannon has a massive range, and can shell an enemy base without having to leave their own base.
- While the tank does not display the Chain Gun's maximum ammo, it is assumed to be infinite, however, it actually only holds 100,000 bullets.
- The main cannon inherits 20% of the vehicle's velocity, while the Chain Gun inherits zero.
- The main cannon fires the projectile in an arc like the mortars.
- The Beowulf can run over and destroy Grav Cycles, but the tank will take over 1,000 damage.
- The booster does not increase the vehicle's top speed, but its rotation speed.
- If the tank tries to park or drive slowly over the flag when it is in the flag stand, the vehicle will explode.
- According to the game files, there is a 1 in 1001 chance that it will play a "Moo" sound instead of the horn.
The following accolades can be earned with the Beowulf.